I always loved risotto, but it’s a long time ago I ate rice. I don’t know what it is, but my body doesn’t love it. It feels really heavy in my stomach and so I just stopped eating it.
But then I bought a bag of spelt and I didn’t know what to do with it. I only knew spelt from the flours and bread, not the whole grain. But then I thought; why not use it as a replacement for rice. This was the first time ever I cooked with spelt and it turned out pretty awesome. The BF even told me he liked it better than ‘normal’ risotto. Whoop whoop!
- 200 gr Mushrooms
- 150 gr Vegan bacon bits (Vivera)
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1000 ml Vegetable stock
- 120 gr Peas (frozen)
- 150 gr Spelt
- Vegan grated cheese
- Slices the mushrooms
- Heat up a pan, put in some oil and bake the bacon bits until crispy.
- Add in mushrooms and crush the garlic and put in the pan, don’t let it burn!
- Now put in the spelt and a couple of spoons of the stock. And stir.
- Keep watching the pan, every time all the liquid is absorbed you put in a couple of spoons of the stock. Repeat this until the desired consistency; I like my spelt risotto with a little bit of bite.
- Add in the peas and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Take of the heat and stir in a little bit of the vegan cheese, this makes it creamy just like normal risotto. You can season with a pepper and salt, if you like.
Serve with a little bit of the grated cheese on top.