Happy Sunday! Today’s skin food post is about dark chocolate. Dark chocolate (atleast above 70%) is one of the best sources of antioxidants. It contains much more cocoa and less sugar and cream than milk chocolate which makes it much more nutritional for you, and your skin! See below for some more skin benefits.
Chocolate benefits for the skin:
- Less Wrinkles:
Dark chocolate contains antioxidants such as flavonoids, which help to protect our skin against harmful free radicals such as UV rays. UV rays are present all year round and can attack our skin cells causing alot of damage. They are the number one reason for fine lines and wrinkles.
- Young looking skin:
Cocoa in dark chocolate helps to reduce stress hormones, which results in less collagen breakdown. Collagen fibers hold our skin together and keep it tight and firm. When it is damaged we see loose, sagging, wrinkled skin.
- Goodbye Sunspots:
The antioxidants in dark chocolate help to protect the skin from the suns harmful UVA and UVB rays. They help not only in preventing brown spots/pigmentation from forming but also sunburn and cancer.
4. Hello Glowy skin:
Dark chocolate can increase blood circulation, hydration and skin thickness, meaning more plump, radiant and glowing skin. Now who doesn’t want that?!
Dark Chocolate Face Mask:
Raw Cocoa powder or Dark chocolate 70%-90% (your choice what you use)
Dry, dull, ageing, pigmented skin types.
Instantly Increases blood flow and hydrates skin
- Mix cocoa powder with water or melt dark chocolate to get a paste.
- Apply to skin and leave for 15-20 mins.
- Wash off and apply a moisturizer.
Dark Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Bites
Now who doesn’t love chocolate? I know I do, but I had to learn to love dark chocolate. It’s a little bit bitter of course, but it so much better for you than white or milk chocolate. And if you combine it with banana and peanut butter is much easier to eat, haha. So if you don’t like dark chocolate, try it like this. And maybe you will love it.
Serving 8 bites
- 35 gr Dark chocolate
- 1 Banana
- 1 tbsp Peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate au bain marie or in the microwave.
- Slice the banana in slightly thicker slices.
- Lay the banana slices down and put peanut butter on half of them. Put the other half of the banana slices on top op the other ones, like sandwiches.
- Dip the ‘peanut butter banana sandwiches’ in the chocolate, put on a rack and sprinkle a little bit of salt on them.
- Let them harden out and you’re done.
Perfect afternoon or evening snack, I think.